Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Of the Light

Today I was thinking about the fact that newborn babies seem to get their nights and days confused... They "sleep like a baby" all during the day, but then seem so anxious to wake up the household in the middle of the night!

We went on an overnight trip to St. Louis to have our lone vacation (well, aside from our time in Little Rock, but I don't consider that much of a vacation!) at the end of July. Tom had the idea of catching a Cardinal game and take in the zoo, or something like that. It was a lot of fun... I grew up going to Cards games and I think I would hit every game if we lived closer. The night after the game, Adalynn stayed up quite a bit. She was so bright-eyed--not fussy--but certainly not sleepy. We stayed up awhile with her and then Tom told me to go to sleep, he would try to feed her and see if he could get her settled. All the while, we were keeping the room dark and trying to be quiet so we didn't bother the boys. He ended up taking her over near the bathroom, flipped on the light and began to give her a bottle. She immediately relaxed and went limp...falling fast asleep. Tom came to the conclusion that she's much more comfortable, and sleeps better, when it's light! The hotel room was probably the darkest room she'd ever been in since she was born...

It all suddenly made sense! She spent the first days of her life in the bright hospital, then under the billy lights because of the jaundice and we keep a lamp on in her room through the night... of course she'd be more comfortable in the light! And I personally believe she came from being in the presence of the Lord where it (I would imagine) is SUPER DUPER bright and beautiful. She's our miracle of God--He hand delivered her to us!

And on that note, I have a friend that told me once that she feels that babies come to earth just filled with secrets of heaven. But they can't speak and tell us these treasures... and by the time they are able to talk their mind, they've forgotten. We spend the rest of our lives just searching to know all the mysteries of God... if only we could read the minds of babies! So to me, it gives more meaning to the little giggles, dimpled smiles, and whimpers Adalynn makes while she's sleeping. I think she's dreaming about God Himself... I think she's remembering Him in all His splendor and I just know that He's whispering loving things to her. Oh... if only we could have those ears to hear... No wonder Jesus said, "let the little children come to me." It's a reunion for them!

So back to my original thought--babies get their nights and days confused because they are more comfortable and relaxed when it's daytime. We were born to be in the light! All the more reason to pray for Adalynn to continue to be a light in this dark world!

[Here are some more pictures from the week Adalynn came home from the hospital]

Adalynn bundled up and sleeping in her crib, in the daylight of course.


One of my favorite pictures... Grandpa holding Adalynn and proud big brother, Dane, looking on...


The doting "Bubbas"


Adalynn finally with her eyes open!


"Sleeping like a baby"


... on the eve of returning to work after this long/short but wonderful journey to meet Adalynn... (I truly can't believe it's been 8 weeks!) I'm remembering how hard it is to be a working mom. My heart is certainly divided. I love my "work" at Fellowship, love my church family and love my ministry there... But my mom-longings are strong. I forgot how much a baby can steal every portion of your heart. I just ache to think I could miss a smile, a cuddle or any milestone. Adalynn has just rocked my world.

I'm just SO thankful that she will be lovingly cared for by her memaw and grandma while I'm at work. Adalynn is so fortunate to have such wonderful women and amazing legacies in her life. What a blessing that she gets this window of time with them! I know there is purpose in that...

2 comments:

  1. Love it, Karen! I like your insight about the light :) Sure makes sense! Sweet, sweet pics of Adalynn and your boys. And I loved seeing you today - so nice to have you back. I know your heart is divided - oh how I understand that. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you blogging again. Love the whole light concept. :)

    ReplyDelete