Tuesday, April 14, 2009

He Loves to Laugh

What do you think God's laugh sounds like?

When I was in college, I had a ton of papers to write (I was in the College of Arts at UofA which seemed to STRETCH my creativity in writing). One random paper I wrote was about all the different ways that people laughed... My inspiration came from Mary Poppins and the song "I Love to Laugh"--you know, where they are having tea on the ceiling? So I'm curious...what do you think God's laugh sounds like?

Lately I have been pondering this as I thought of all the now-seemingly-crazy-and-naive statements that I have made throughout the last ten years...

Karen: "God TOTALLY knew what He was doing when He gave me all boys...I wouldn't know WHAT to do with a girl!"
God: [chuckle chuckle] "Just you wait..."

Karen: "Good thing God didn't give me any girls, I have a hair-fixing-disability... what do you do with all that hair?"
God: [...more chuckles...] "I guess you'd better 'brush' up!"

Karen: "If I had a girl, I'm sure she would be a cheerleader, and God wouldn't want me to be a Cheer Mom...I'm sure of that! I'd be the one with glitter on her face, fake hair extensions and doing the entire routine along with the cheer squad...yikes!"
God: [...snicker...] "Isn't that what you do already on the sidelines for the boys--all four of them?"

Karen: "Girls scare me... how do you deal with the drama, pettiness, insecurities and all the self-image issues?"
God: [...sigh...and a slight smile] "And what do I do to help YOU with those same problems?"

Karen: "If I had a girl, she would be just like ME probably--she'd give me tons of attitude and we'd butt heads all the time!"
God: [...belly laughter...] "Uhhhh...weren't you like that with YOUR OWN mother? And now isn't she one of your best friends?"

Karen: "I'm just not a huge pink fan... I couldn't have a girl!"
God: [...sympathy laughter...] "I did make other colors, too, you know..." (I'm sure Razorback Red is one of His favorites!)

Karen [while signing the waiver that she wouldn't have any more children]: "I'm totally fine with having just three boys... I don't think God intended for me to have a little girl anyway!"
God: [slap-His-knee laughter]
"Let's see how you feel in just 13 months from now!"

I believe that God has an amazing sense of humor. I think of all these statements--along with the many others--and just know He was sitting on His throne chuckling to himself. He knew even before I was born that we were going to have a little princess "grace" our home some day. I guess He knows what's best, right?

My hope and prayer... that she loves it all--playing sports and dressing up, getting dirty and twirling, playing an instrument plus calling the Hogs, yelling at refs :) and then cuddling with her family, Bugs Bunny cartoons and messed up hair, Razorback Red, Green Bay Packer Green and Heritage Orange, Cherry Diet Cokes from Sonic as well as hot cups of coffee with her momma... But most of all, I pray that she learns to know the Lord better than I do and that she impacts the world with her testimony and love for the Word. I pray this "Mirakel" is an authentic and life-giving miracle!

"God has brought me laughter, and everyone who hears about this will laugh with me." Genesis 21:6
"He will yet fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy." Job 8:21
"Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The LORD has done great things for them." Psalm 126:2

Amen!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this!! So fun to read through your comments and to think of God smiling and chuckling as we (yes, we all make them in some form or another) make crazy statements (like we think we know!) What a great post.

    ReplyDelete