Friday, April 3, 2009

Am I a Slug or a Sloth?

Reality has hit!
...I'm 39 now
...I'm a mostly frantic mother of three (soon to be four)
...I'm a wife of a very devoted but busy husband/basketball coach
...I stay up too late
...I wake up too early
...I have sporadic sleep cycles
...I have a BIG TIME slow down ...uh...crash... at 1pm to 2pm each day
...My back hurts (groans, complains, yells at me) frequently
...I miss my Cherry Diet Cokes from Sonic desperately
...I fall asleep in the middle of praying OR
...My mind gets distracted and my prayers are frequently interrupted with "tasking" thoughts

Let's compare the definitions:

slug -n.
1. Any of various small, snaillike, chiefly terrestrial gastropod mollusks of the genus Limax and related genera, having a slow-moving elongated body with no shell or only a flat rudimentary shell on or under the skin.
2. The smooth soft larva of certain insects, such as the sawfly.
3. A slimy mass of aggregated amoeboid cells from which the sporophore of a cellular slime mold develops.
4. Informal A sluggard.
(We're on to something here)

sloth - n.
1. Aversion to work or exertion; laziness; indolence.
(this is sporadic)
2. Any of various slow-moving, arboreal, edentate mammals of the family Bradypodidae of South and Central America, having long hooklike claws by which they hang upside down from tree branches and feeding on leaves, buds, and fruits. (oh yeah... salad with fruit! yum!)
3. A company of bears. (I'm a Packer fan and have a dislike of bears)

Well... based on findings:
I'm like a slug in that I definitely have a "slow moving elongated body"--although it is strangely being disfigured out of that elongated state with this basketball shaped (and wonderful) lump that has suddenly appeared in my mid-section. And I most definitely feel like a sluggard around 1 to 2pm each day.
I'm certainly sloth-like because of the laziness trap I fall into, but I wouldn't say have a problem with indolence (inactivity resulting from a dislike of work)--I LOVE my work! All of it! But I have a strange desire for the wonderful salads at Mimi's and O'Charley's, which would explain my sloth-like eating habits. Although, I don't THINK I like to eat the salad hanging upside down from a tree--I don't mind trying though. Sounds intriguing...

I think I'm a slothful slug with an aversion to bears that could possibly develop a cellular slime mold in my wake... hmmmm. Reality has most definitely hit--but I'm accepting it with vengence and facing it with force! Bring it on!

By view of this blog, does it sound like I get enough sleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment