Friday, March 6, 2009

Tom - my rock

I just have to say that Tom is a rock to me. Not the Rock (Jesus), but a rock in my life. In fact his middle name, Peter, means "rock"--fittingly. Tom has been absolutely amazing throughout this journey of finding out we are pregnant, learning he is to be a dad again, and being a source of strength for our family.

On the day of the big news, Tom had been texting me asking me how the doctor's appt. had gone. At one point, I texted back saying, "I'm heading into ultrasound. Yikes". He then texted back but I was already being whisked away and didn't get to see it until after the pregnancy was confirmed. His response was, "I wish I could be there." And I TOTALLY needed him!

I called Tom once I got into my car to leave. Naturally he was shocked, perplexed...and any other emotion you would want to insert here (not anger!). But his concern instantly went to me (of course--our amazing servant leader). We chose to meet over lunch and talk everything out. He immediately got someone to cover his classes. We did meet, but never ate--both of us didn't really have an appetite. We had a lot to think about! And one of the first things he (jokingly) said to me was, "I'm sorry I did this to you!" :)

We then called our parents. I can't even begin to explain how EXCITED they were! You could just see my Dad's smile over the phone and Tom's mom just screamed! Truly this is a picture of the amazing family that this baby is being born into--welcome arms and hearts--lots of room for a new little Olsen.

I didn't get to talk to my mom right away because she was at a bible study, but when we did talk, I was on the computer and had begun to look up the chances that someone could get pregnant after having an ablation... I saw that it was 0.7%. And most of those end in miscarriages. (Wow, was this REALLY happening?) I then realized that my fears could escalate dramatically if I stayed online and read everyone's experiences. So from that point on, I haven't researched anymore. You know, if we DID know about the pregnancy during the first trimester, we would have been very concerned... what a blessing that we didn't find out until almost half way through!

All I know is that "God doesn't give you more than you can handle" and I'm just SO incredibly grateful to have Tom--my husband and rock--to share this journey and joy. I am blessed.



This is a picture that a friend of ours (Nita Moix) sent. It is a baby (not our baby though) at 16 weeks. What an amazing picture!!!

1 comment:

  1. To think she is even bigger now then in this picture! Pregnancy itself is miraculous, but YOUR pregnancy is a God thing. I'm so proud of your faith, K. What an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete