Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tug of War

You remember the game of tug-of-war?...the battle of will and might, but mostly it was who had the best "anchor" at the end of the rope. Undoubtedly, it was the side with the biggest, sturdiest and most anchor-like person at the end of the rope that won the game. Well... I feel like I've been in a Tug-of-War with God lately. (wanna guess who wins? :))

This past weekend we had a great time in Muskogee, OK watching Dane's baseball team, the Rogers Redhawks, play in a tournament. It was perfect weather--mostly warm during the day and cover-up-with-a-blanket cool at night. We took the whole family and spent the night and just enjoyed some time relaxing at the hotel, swimming in the pool, eating out with friends. It was really nice... and to top it off, the Redhawks won the tournament!

But I was really battling inside... I was physically hurting throughout the weekend which forced my mind into the worry-mode. I heard every little voice of doubt and concern that came into my head. Am I feeling the baby? Am I going into early labor? Was that a contraction? I don't remember what they feel like... And I tried to battle it with the Truth. I read Psalm 139 over and over. Tom was a source of comfort and strength as usual, always pointing me to Him.

It really was a Tug-of-War battle! Seems like I always want to take things over and just worry... no, God, really...I love worrying, I'll just take this back from you...(tug, tug) ...it's okay, I can handle it, you don't need to do this all by yourself... (tug, tug). But God is a much better "anchor" than I am...thank goodness.

On Sunday morning, we all went down to breakfast they offered at the hotel. My mind was spinning with concern and I was weary from little sleep. As we began to eat, a young mom and a little girl came past us to sit at the next table. We heard her say, "Hurry up Adalynn" or something like that... all I heard was her name. And each one of us in our family's ears just perked up! We couldn't believe that this little girl's name was Adalynn! The same as our new baby girl (which is somewhat rare)! Then we heard Adalynn say later, as she was getting sad, "I need my bubbas!" And her older brothers ran to her side. Tom looked at me directly in the eye and said, "I don't think this is an accident that we were here to witness that!" He went on to say, "God has you and this little one--Adalynn--in His [mighty, capable and anchor-like] hands." (underlying message...quit playing Tug-of-War!!)

Easier said than done! :) But my hands are definitely starting to slip...

1 comment:

  1. Karen, what a sweet message from God! Reading that just brought tears to my eyes. I'm with Tom - that was no accident :) Love that our precious Father keeps reminding you of how much He loves you and has this whole situation in His hands.

    ReplyDelete