Thursday, May 28, 2009

About Hospitals...

Hello again from a hospital bed in Little Rock! I'm pleased to report that nothing is happening! Adalynn continues to get good check ups and so do I. They are very good to us here... I feel very spoiled. I mean... they bring me breakfast, lunch and dinner in bed! Although I'm a little disappointed... they keep coming in and asking me if I need anything. Well, this time, I told them I needed a Peanut Buster Parfait from Dairy Queen... they didn't seem to think they could do that! In fact, she just laughed.

I did ask one of the doctors (who came in around 5:15 this morning by the way) what would happen if I DID go into labor. Would they try to stop it, etc. He said he was sure they would try to keep her from coming (i.e. medication), but there is some point when she will just decide to come and there is nothing they can do! He again said that it would be ideal if we were 34 weeks. Soooooo... we hope to stick around here for 4 more weeks!

I ran across this list below that came from a friend, Beth Kenyon, when her husband was in the hospital for a length of time because of severe injuries after a fall from a scaffolding. Tim is still recovering from broken ribs, vertebrae, etc... Beth sent this out via email in the middle of this tough ordeal. I just loved her perspective. So I'm plagiarizing but adapting to where we are in our journey. I'm certainly not suffering like Tim (and their family for that matter), but I definitely have a new appreciation for things... Enjoy Beth's wisdom (in green)!

Things I am learning in the hospital:
...Hospitals are noisy (not too bad here...I have a private room)
...Nurses are underpaid (most definitely...I think they are angels in disguise)
...Hospital food does not equal good (I can't complain too much)
...Being able to scratch your own back is often taken for granted (as well as just being vertical)
...There are MANY reasons I majored in education (Comm.) and not medicine (Amen!)
...Cell phone batteries run out quicker (but I'm SO thankful for technology)
...Trauma & Drama have a lot in common (I mentioned I was high maintenance)
...Pain & sleeping meds are wonderful (for me, it's just Ambien...love it!)
...I can do more than I thought I could (for me, it's Tom...although I know how strong he really is)
...Sleep is overrated
...Love & prayer are tangible
(AMEN!!)
...I am quicker to thank God for the good than the hard (unfortunately, yes)
...Friends & Family are a gift (DOUBLE AMEN!!)
...Laughter is important!
...Team ministry is the only way to go
(so thankful for my work/church family!)
...I love my family and miss them desperately!

5 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I've been staying off the computer so I can get things done, but just had to check in on your blog to see how things were going.

    I remembered that e-mail from Beth! :) I like your notes, too.

    I'm glad things are staying calm. It's already been a week, so four more will go faster than you think. So many people are holding you up in prayer!

    Hugs,
    Terri I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen. I have been following your blog for about a week now. Praying for you and sweet baby Adalynn. You have an amazing family and know you appreciate all they do for you. I'm sure they are in turn appreciating all YOU do for them as well. I will continue to follow and pray during this journey. God is the ultimate healer and he will bring you through this. I can't wait to meet her!

    James 1:12
    Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.


    Blessings,
    Christi Willson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you friends... this encouragement means so much. and I love the James verse. I pray so much to stay steadfast through this...although it's not a "trial", it is a journey. I pray that He is seen thru me in this! Appreciate you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's nice that you have your computer and internet access. i know being in bed for so long could be so boring. i hope you have friends bringing you books and magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smile. So glad these thoughts brought comfort. God is so good. And I still am not sure why humor & laughter are not listed as spiritual gifts!!!! Love you,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete