Monday, May 25, 2009

WHAT.........A............DAY!

Overwhelmed, blessed, cup runneth over... how else can I describe these past 24 hours?

It began last night with a visit from Marcy Emerson and her daughter, Laurel (I hope I spelled that right!)... they were in town visiting Marcy's mom and they endured the rainy, yucky weather to come brighten my day! They left with a prayer over me...and I was touched. Thank you my friends!

Then around 10:30pm last night a whole crew of Olsen boys came lumbering into the hospital room! They were groggy and smiling...I think they were happy to see their mom. But they couldn't have been more grateful than me! We hadn't seen each other since I dropped them off at school Wednesday morning! So after a full weekend of tournaments, travel and a lot of victories...they decided to road trip to Little Rock to make their mom's day. Cannot express how good it was to hug their neck! Just doesn't feel right to not be around them 24/7. Again, this has been the hardest part of this whole journey.

From left: Tom, Crist, me, Dane and Ty.

The picture above is of Ty's 1st place tournament trophy from Kansas City! Super NIT Champs! Way to go Dirtbags! And the medal hanging around it is from Crist's basketball tournament...they got first place too! Great job boys!

Ty hung out with me last night--slept on the fold-out bed next to me. And Dane, Crist and Tom left to enjoy the hospitality of Aunt Pat and Uncle Jim. Aunt Pat was made to entertain...truly.

This morning was spent together as a family here in the hospital... it was non-stop giggles and smiles as they watched Laurel & Hardy and The Three Stooges on the laptop. Tom was laughing so hard his stomach was hurting! Fun to see my boys so relaxed and enjoying each other's company! And it made my day just to have them there.

This afternoon was a whirlwind of emotion and love abound as some DEAR, DEAR friends from NWA took a road-trip to see their high-maintenance friend! Tom whisked the boys to the movies while we sat and enjoyed each other's company [PAUSE] There is something about long-time friends and soul-mates that come bearing gifts, hugs and stories...true nourishment for my spirit. [PLAY] I relished in each and every moment as we ate chocolate-covered strawberries and toasted our Vitamin Water together. We truly partied! And then they showered me with sweet and oh-so-thoughtful tissue gifts. Everything from treats for Adalynn, yummy food for me and the boys and great trinkets to help commemorate this special time! (They even hand-delivered goodies from the Hill family, Carie Whitham and Kate Fisk) They are the most beautiful messenger pigeons I've ever seen! :)

Great story... Jen (one of the road trip friends) has some sweet memories of opening "tissue gifts" alongside her dad's bedside as he was ailing... she said that they opened one tissue gift a day and it was a highlight for them--one she still relishes today. She has since passed that tradition along to our Apples of Gold group (ladies Bible study) and we have embraced it! There has been many occasions where we have had tissue-gift moments as a member went through tough health times, needed a pick-me-up, or just for an excuse to shower presents on each other! Well, I was the recipient today... wow, was that a humbling moment that I wish I could just freeze in time. To my soul-mates... thank you for the most amazing "pick me up" I could have ever received. Thank you for the revitalizing afternoon (and it wasn't just the Vitamin Water!)... Thank you for spending time away from your family just to make this girl's day... I will NEVER forget...

After a sweet, sweet time of prayer and just filling me up all together, they left to return to NWA... I was wiped out. How can someone get so physically and emotionally exhausted when they are doing nothing but sit on their rear-end in a hospital bed all day?! But I slipped into a peaceful sleep...I'm sure I was still smiling and relishing in the moment...

My dear friends... from left: Kathy Rusch, me, Joy Primm, Jen Boyle and Sue Prude. See how much love and sunshine has just filled this room! LOVE you girls! You were Luke 6:38 to me today! "Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Wow, what a day!!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like such a sweet Apples moment. I wish I could have been there!! I'm glad that you have friends around you to encourage you and make you feel loved.

    ReplyDelete