Friday, June 19, 2009

Family Reunion

So I guess it takes me having a baby to get our whole family together! :)

Today was super fun in that I got to be with my brothers, mom and dad... first time in a long time. Mark, Miranda, Mom and Dad all drove down from NWA today (Miranda drove part of the way with her new driving permit!). Dave, Jennifer and Elliot came over from Memphis and we all "reunion-ed" here in the hospital room! Boy, it's good to see everyone!

I thought I would use this opportunity to introduce Adalynn to her uncles...

Mark is four years older than me and was always someone that I looked up to... he went to the Air Force Academy and now has been in the Air Force for more than 20 years. Mark is trying to decide whether to retire or stay in--he is a Lt. Colonel and would be up for Colonel. He and his wife, Cynthia, had five children together (Miranda, Kaila, Alec, Destin and Steth). Cynthia has since passed away--over five years ago--and Mark has remarried (Karen). They are currently stationed in Stuttgart, Germany. Has it really been two years since I've seen them? Wow! That's just not right...

Mark has the best sense of humor... we always end of laughing when we are all together. And he is just a joyful person--seriously, you can't help but smile and have a good time when you around him. I have always loved when Mark and Tom are together, because they are so similar--right down to the quick humor and lots of laughs. Tonight, we were going through Steven Wright jokes. I think Mark knows them all... Too funny. Wonder what Adalynn thought of all that laughing! :) I hope it doesn't put me in labor!

David is three years older than me, is married to Jennifer and currently lives in Memphis. Their son, Elliot, was here with us today, or should I say "entertaining us today." I think Elliot was sad that Crist, Dane and Ty weren't here to play with! Dave is my St. Louis Cardinal buddy--I think David could quote every statistic of the Cards as well as the Memphis Redbirds. We definitely share a love for baseball--but I'm not near as good as he is at remembering all the details! It's fun to have that in common.

Some of the best memories I have of Dave is when we were living in Russellville... I was working at Wal-Mart, Tom was finishing school and coaching at Ark. Tech and Tom and Dave had a blast together. I remember MANY times coming home late from work to find Dave and Tom sitting in the living room just laughing (usually watching Looney Toons). They, too, have a very similar sense of humor. In fact, both of them can quote Monty Python movies almost verbatim... and when I saw one of those movies for the first time, it wasn't NEAR as funny as Dave and Tom. Those were good times... and Dave STILL makes the best chicken wings ever.

They all were only here a couple of hours tonight, but I do look forward to them coming back tomorrow! I have come to cherish our times together so much more... Since I've become a mom and have watched the interaction of my boys together and how they anticipate a little sister, I can see the importance and uniqueness of family. There is no other relationship like it, and I know that I, too often, take it for granted. Adalynn, I can't wait for you to meet your uncles and their families. I know you will love them just like I do!

Dave, Mark and I in a rare reunion!


Mark and Miranda... I told Mark I couldn't believe that he had an 18 year old daughter! I remember when she was born and I was in college. I'll never forget that feeling of being a first time aunt!


Elliot, Dave and Jennifer... so good to see them. I'm just so thankful they made the trip from Memphis to be here!

1 comment:

  1. looks like fun. i'm glad you're having company to keep you busy.

    ReplyDelete