Monday, June 1, 2009

Is it Groundhog Day?

Okay... I feel like I'm living alongside Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. Remember that movie? When he keeps waking up and it's still Groundhog Day? Well, I feel as if I keep living the same day over and over again... here's the routine:

4am - Vitals check (they check my temperature and blood pressure and they check Adalynn's heartbeat) This has become a competition between Tom and I...in fact the nurses are in on it too. We listen to her heart beat and see who can guess the right number (Tom's really good at it!)

5am - Residents walk in and ask me the same questions every morning: "How are you feeling? Are you bleeding? Any contractions? Any questions?" Then they listen to my breathing through a stethoscope.

5:30 - 6am - A doctor will walk in and ask the same questions each morning: "How are you feeling? Are you bleeding? Any contractions? Any questions?" (they need to work on variety)

7 - 8am - New nurse on duty comes to introduce herself (I'm getting to know them pretty well now). She listens to my breathing, asks me tons of questions, checks my reflexes and looks for swelling in my legs. I ask for a cup of coffee at this point...

8am - Vitals check by a Tech (they are usually nursing students working their way through college...very sweet and helpful!)

8 - 8:30am - Breakfast comes. Food's not too bad. Second cup of coffee at this point (they are small)

9am - Nurse brings pills to take. At first it was antibiotics, now it's just prenatal vitamin and stool softener.

9:30 - 10am - Heparin shot. They used to do Lovonox once a day, but they've changed to heparin.

10:30am - I try to sneak into the shower for a wonderful refresher! Tech comes and makes my bed (did I mention I was spoiled?)

12noon - Vitals check

12:30 - 1pm - Lunch comes. I usually pre-order soup and salad.

(2 - 2:30pm - NST check on Wednesdays and Saturdays. This is where they hook me up to the monitor and watch Adalynn's heartbeat and check to see that I'm not contracting. I don't remember what NST stands for...they have lots of acronyms here!)

4pm - Vitals check

5:30 - 6pm - Dinner is served.

6:30pm - Nurse comes to say goodbye--that she is ending her shift.

7:30 - 8:30pm - New nurse on duty comes to introduce herself (she works the night shift). She listens to my breathing, asks me tons of questions, checks my reflexes and looks for swelling in my legs.

8pm - Vitals Check

9:30pm - Another Heparin Shot

10:30pm - Nurse brings Ambien to help me sleep

12 midnight - Vitals check

In between all those times, I have some time with God, get to work remotely from a laptop, drink Vitamin Water, receive fun emails, calls and/or visits from concerned friends and family... and occasionally get to escape outside!

AND IT STARTS ALL OVER AGAIN THE NEXT DAY! So, is it Groundhog Day?

2 comments:

  1. What if you could just post a dry erase board on the door change the date every am and put: Nurse came in at 4, told (blank insert name) the answers to all your questions. See chart, will let you know if anything changes. Thanks for the rest, have a nice day!
    Still praying for you and Adalynn,
    Love ya,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lisa! I should do that... what a great idea! It's just funny how "routine" everything is...which I guess is good.

    Thank you for the prayers! I'm truly grateful... Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete