Saturday, June 13, 2009

In Another World

Lately I've been thinking about the movie, Good Morning Vietnam... there's a scene in the movie where Robin Williams is talking with a higher ranking soldier (who's known for his lack of sense of humor and is not extremely well-liked). Robin, as Adrian Cronauer, says this: (and you can picture Robin just rattling this off)

[Lt. Steven Hauk uses army jargon to refer to a press conference to be given by former Vice President Nixon]
Adrian Cronauer: "Excuse me sir, seeing that the V.P. is such a V.I.P, shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put on K.P."
here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UqqjEeWP9Y

I have always loved that scene... it left the other guy speechless and everyone else laughing.

Well, I kinda feel like I've been living in the acronym world... many times nurse and doctors will refer to something with initials and I'm extremely puzzled. So I jotted a few down (these are just a few):

UAMS - University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (that one wasn't hard)
NST - Non-Stress Test (the monitor they hook up 2x a week for about 30 minutes to track Adalynn's heartbeat and to see if I'm contracting)
COWs - Computer on Wheels (the nurse told me they had to be careful how they said this one! :))
LOF - Leakage of Fluid
VB - Vaginal Bleeding
HA - Headache (now that's funny...and not usually a laughing matter)
CONTX - Contractions
Q - Every (like Qday is everyday)
SCD - Sequential Compression Devices (the leg wraps that chase blood clots away)
PROM - Pre-mature Rupture of Membranes (this is when the water breaks)

I was very confused on this last one... they talked several days about my PROM. I kept thinking they were talking about some local kids going to a dance! I finally asked someone... :) I've come to realize that the medical world is an amazing place... so much so that they create their own language! I suppose that it would take forever to write reports or talk to each other if they didn't have intials for everything. Now, if I just had an interpreter!

Today was a pretty low key day, medically. They did do another NST (see above) and Adalynn tracked great! Her heartrate stays in the low 140's. She still gets the hiccups occasionally and likes to dance in my belly after I drink apple juice. Some doctors came in and reported that I'm on my 25th day. That hit me like a ton of bricks. Has it really been that long? Unreal.

I do get a lot of questions asking if I'm "bored" or "stir crazy." Which, remarkably, I can honestly answer "no"! I try so hard to keep my mind pre-occupied--computer stuff, reading, baseball on TV or computer, quick trips outside, thank you cards, lots of phone calls, emails, texts and facebook stuff. It doesn't sound like much, but it really does fill the day! Reflecting on this... I think if I was in the hospital for just me, I would probably would go nuts. But knowing that this is for the good of our little girl... it's all worth it. I can sit on my rear end and behave for that "precious prize"! I have the rest of my life to go back to my Martha tendencies... but I DO think the Lord did this to show me how to be a Mary. ("I am the Lord's servant," Mary said, "may it be as you said." Luke 1:38)

A big event today... the Hog baseball team won their first game against Cal-State Fullerton in the College World Series! Mom and I had a lot of fun to watching that--knowing that my dad as well as Cindy & Steve Morgan were there. And I remembered something... the last time the Hogs were in the World Series, was when I was in the hospital for a P.E. (more acronyms) or pulmonary embolism/blood clot in 2004. I remember distinctly asking the nurse if she could bring my sleeping pill in another couple of hours because I needed to see the end of the game! Hmmmm... don't think I'd like to be hospitalized again, but would sure love to see the Hogs victorious!

SLFN (So Long For Now), TTFN (Ta Ta For Now), LYD (Love You Dearly), UT (Until Tomorrow) and WPS (WOO PIG SOOIE!)

K.L.O. and A.M.O.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, that is so funny! And true! I remember while in Nursing school, I told a patient "Good news! You get to move to the floor." Which in my world meant- you're doing much better, you get to get out of the ICU and go to a regular hospital ward- but they thought I was going to make them sleep on the floor! It took me a minute to figure out why they were looking at me like I was crazy! I never made that mistake again.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    It's been great to keep up with you and your little miracle via your blog. Adalynn will love to read the details one day! I've loved your comments about the groundhog day qualities and acronyms of healthcare:)
    We continue to pray for you guys. You have been an inspiration with your positive attitude and looking to the Lord throughout this "adventure"!

    ReplyDelete