Monday, June 22, 2009

Thoughts on Prayer

I can't tell you how many times we've heard the words:
"...we're praying for you."
"...you're in our prayers."
"...praying for baby Adalynn and her momma"
"...we're thinking about and praying for you!"

And I can't tell you how many times we've received prayers:
...over the phone
...in person
...through emails
...in cards
...via facebook

And then there's the prayer warriors:
...our family
...my Apples of Gold group

...our Community Group
...Fellowship
...our family's churches
...the city of Rogers
...our basketball, baseball and football families

...people all over the nation--Arkansas, Michigan, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, California and Florida
...and family in Germany


This whole miracle pregnancy with Adalynn Mirakel (our Noble Miracle) has been a life lesson for us. We have come to realize that the Body of Christ is real and very active. We've learned that "nothing is impossible with God." (Luke 1:37). And we've learned about the power of prayer. Or should I say, I'VE seen how it really works...

On the eve's eve of welcoming Adalynn into this world, I find myself reflecting on this amazing journey. And I'm filled with gratitude, awe and love for the network of prayer support that has helped us shoulder this "burden"... the peace we have, Adalynn's progress and success, the endurance and perseverance...none of it could have happened without your "unceasing" prayers. Thank you, family. We will never ever forget. Some of the lessons that I feel God has taught us through this is patience, endurance, love and prayer. All of that comes from God himself.

Once again Tom directed me to Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, who had a great statement:
"...think of prayer as the breath in our lungs and the blood from our hearts. Our blood flows and our breathing continues 'without ceasing'; we are not even conscious of it, but it never stops. And we are not always conscious of Jesus keeping us in perfect oneness with God, but if we are obeying Him, he always is. Prayer is not an exercise, it is the life of a saint." I love this... pray without ceasing, like breathing.

And I know what the Word says: (and these are just a few!)
"Your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask Him!" Matt. 6:8 NLT
"The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective." James 5:16
"I call on you, O God, for you will answer me; give ear to me and hear my prayer." Psalm 17:6
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Phil. 4:6
"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." I Thess. 5:16-18

And lastly, I've heard before that prayer not only changes things, but it changes the person who is doing the praying. I know this for a fact. And I do hope that I have learned that prayer is not just merely an excercise, that it is my life--like breathing. Thank you, friends and family, for being His vessel and for teaching me such a valuable lesson. You are loved...

3 comments:

  1. Yes, we are indeed praying for you and Adalynn! I intentionally put the proof copy of the card I made you on my desk where I see it and pray for you each time I sit at the computer. Getting excited about Wednesday with peace that all will go well for both of you!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping you, Adalynn and the whole family tucked especially tight in my prayers as you get to hold your sweet girl tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, Just found your blog tonight. Our family is praying for yours!
    Melanie Arterbury

    ReplyDelete