Tuesday, June 2, 2009

More from Little Rock

Day 13... wow, I can't believe it's been just about two weeks! It's gone really, really fast and terribly, terribly slow...all at the same time.

Today was another normal "It's Groundhog Day" type of day. No new medical news. Still incubating! I do get chances to talk at length with some nurses--did I mention that I think they are angels among us? I found out today that if we make it to 34 weeks, Adalynn could be in the NICU up to the time that she was originally due (Aug. 5th). Woah...that was a blow. She told me that all premature babies have to learn how to eat, breathe,and get medication for being in the womb so long after the water was broken... Again, woah. I don't know what I really thought, but I certainly didn't think this journey would last the ENTIRE summer!

Sooooo... I've resolved not to think about that. Taking one day at a time. We still don't know when she will come, and we certainly don't know how long she will need to be hospitalized. With all my heart I believe that God is truly in the "?" (question mark). He's already there... He knows... I rest in that Truth!

*In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps. (Prov. 16:9)
*Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails (Prov. 19:21)
*For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Jer. 29:11)
----------------------------------------------------------------

This picture below is of the boys by The Little Rock Nine statues here in Little Rock... When my parents were here over the weekend, they took them by to see them. Great story, and worthy of repeating for Adalynn's sake as well as anyone who cares to read it!...

In 1957 President Eisenhower mandated integration into schools--that white and black students would go to school together. I guess Gov. Faubus didn't want that to happen here, but the President intervened. He sent down 10,000 Federal troops to come and stand elbow to elbow around Central High School (a very, very big campus) while 9 black students began in the fall of '57. Well, you can imagine the outrage by the students and community... these Nine were treated SO badly--there was so much racism!

Well, my dad, my Aunt Pat and Uncle Jim all attended Central High School at that time...they were in the midst of all that! Definitely a part of history unfolding... The part I remember most was upon graduation (Dad, Aunt Pat and Uncle Jim all graduated that year). There were death threats on Ernest Green, the very first black person to graduate from Central. No one wanted to sit next to him for fear of their life. Well, I'm proud to say that Dad offered to sit next to him... (they both had a last name that started with "G"). He has a picture of that exact moment. In fact, Ernest signed Dad's yearbook! I will say... that selflessness that Dad portrayed and the fact that he saw/sees everyone beyond their color of skin has had a big impact on my life.

Thanks for letting me rattle on. I do feel that this story is worthy of Adalynn's baby blog/book!

I do have a prayer request... as you can imagine, this whole journey has been quite a struggle for Tom and the boys, but especially Tom. Please whisper up a prayer for him, if you don't mind. He's one mighty strong man, but he is human. He's super duper tired. Thank you for interceding for him and us at this time!

Blessings, K

3 comments:

  1. I'll definitely be praying for Tom, and the boys. I'm sure this is hard on all of them, not having you home. :)

    I enjoyed your history lesson. That is really neat that you have family that were a part of that historical moment.

    Hope things stay steady today. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your Dad even more now, Karen. You are like him. What a legacy to leave your kids and grand kids. I'm so glad you shared this here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Terri and Elizabeth... Dad has his yearbook that I've gone through many-a-time... really is cool to have this chunk of history in our family!

    ReplyDelete